The Rivers State Governor, Ezenwo Wike, has set up a Judicial Commission of Inquiry to investigate the alleged brutality and human rights abuse perpetrated by the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in the state.
This comes days after the Governor declined to follow the resolution of the National Executive Council, NEC to Governors of the 36 States to set up the panel as part of moves to assuage the feelings of End SARS protesters in the country.
However, Wike in a statement by the Commissioner for Information, Paulinus Nsirim listed Members of the Commission as;
1. Hon. Justice C.I.Uriri(rtd)-Chairman
2. Mrs Florence Amiesimaka (FIDA)
3. Tonye Ibisiki, Esq, (Nigerian Bar Association)
4. Karl Chinedu Uchegbu( Civil Society)
5. Chijioke Ihunwo(Youth Group)
6. Rev. Richard Opara(Religious Group)
7. Mrs Bella Ebeku( Women Group)
8. Dr. George Nwaeke(Secretary) and
9. Barr. Somiete Inko-Tariah( Counsel to the Commission)
The statement adds that, “Members of the Commission are to be sworn in on Thursday, October 22, 2020 at the Executive Council Chambers, Government House at 12noon.”